Summer 2022 Classes and Schedule
Enroll in one or more classes that suit your needs and take advantage of our summer enrollment incentives:
- All matriculated Temple University and partner university students will receive a 15% Temple University Student Scholarship!
GRADUATE ACADEMIC ENGLISH
This course targets the academic skills and strategies necessary for successful integration into graduate programs. Students will:
- develop the skills to produce an effective academic abstract
- understand the relation between original thought and citation use
- practice notetaking of academic lectures
- practice navigating Temple libraries and databases
- develop a course paper analyzing a major problem in their chosen field
VOCABULARY, PRONUNCIATION AND PRESENTATIONS
In this course, students will learn and practice features of American English pronunciation: rhythm, intonation, and pausing. Students will
- practice the correct speaking pattern
- learn and practice best practices for academic presentations
- give a formal presentation of their research completed for the Graduate Academic English course.
- keep a vocabulary journal of jargon from their discipline.
SEMINAR IN THE DISCIPLINES
In this seminar-style course, the students are the leaders as they take turns presenting research and guiding class discussions. Students will:
- present an accurate reading of an assigned article and give their own critical assessment
- lead and maintain a discussion based on the topic assigned
- become more fully and become an engaged learner, researcher and professional
GRADUATE STUDENT WORKSHOP
This workshop fosters a conversation about what it means to be a successful graduate student. Students will:
- recognize common transitional difficulties from undergraduate to graduate-level work
- understand the importance of professional conduct & independent problem solving
- identify the characteristics of appropriate vs. inappropriate written correspondence
|Class||Meeting Dates||Meeting Times*|
|Academic English for Graduate Students||Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday||9:30-11:50 AM|
|Seminar in Disciplines||Monday & Wednesday||1:00-2:50PM|
|Vocabulary, Pronunciation & Presentations||Tuesday & Thursday||1:00-2:20PM|
|Graduate Student Workshop||Tuesday||2:30-3:50PM|
- *All classes will be in-person and all meeting times are listed in Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) as of Summer 2022.