If you want to improve your English and only have a short time to study, this full-time super-intensive program is a good fit. You will improve your speaking, listening, reading and writing skills in stimulating and challenging courses.
Choose from two tracks
1. Academic English Track
- Join this four-week program to quickly improve your language, pronunciation and presentation skills in an immersive environment
- Build listening, speaking, reading and writing skills through traditional classes as well as through American movies and exploring the great city of Philadelphia
- Connect with other special program students on trips like New York City, Washington D.C. and the beach town of Ocean City, New Jersey
Intensive Reading and Writing I: The Essay
- Read classic short fiction and non-fiction literature, write summaries and essays, and learn to support an argument in writing using appropriate transitions and details.
Intensive Reading and Writing II: Research and Citation
- Read academic articles and other non-fiction literature and write a short research paper related to the readings. Learn to develop and support a thesis and use citations.
Listening and Speaking I
- Build listening comprehension, fluency, vocabulary development and sociolinguistic competencies. Students view short videos of speakers and other high-interest content.
Listening and Speaking II
- Build listening comprehension, fluency, vocabulary development and sociolinguistic competencies. Students view video lectures, interviews, and other advanced-level content.
- Get extra listening comprehension practice and an in-depth look at aspects of American culture. Students will write and revise film critiques as a way to practice editing skills in writing. They will also participate in discussions of the films through online discussion boards and in class discussions.
Presentation and Pronunciation Skills I and II
- Gain necessary skills to deliver a formal presentation. Learn best practices in PowerPoint design, team building discussions, pronunciation, and improved fluency.
- Travel on walking tours throughout Philadelphia to see the amazing murals that fill public spaces and wander through the various free or low-cost art galleries. Note: This class meets off campus and may require public transportation to various sites.
2. Business English & Culture Track
- In addition to building language skills, business students will develop professional presentations, pronunciation, written communication and business etiquette. Students will visit local businesses, hear from business leaders and take part in activities including networking workshops and a business-etiquette luncheon.
Business English with Professional Presentations Course
Students will learn American business English by
- reading and listening to business texts.
- practicing presentation skills.
- writing formal and informal business correspondence.
Business Culture & Guest Speaker Workshop
Students will focus on the language and culture of American business by
- engaging with guest speakers from a variety of professions.
- taking part in networking workshops.
- participating in a business etiquette luncheon.
Philadelphia Business Visit
Students will learn about and visit local businesses, including large corporations and small businesses owned by local entrepreneurs, in order to
- engage with company representatives.
- learn about the range of business practices.
- experience business culture in fields like media and hospitality.
Airport Pick-Up and Drop-Off
Airport pick-up is provided on July 7 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. from Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) to Temple University campus only.
Airport drop-off is provided on July 27 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. from Temple University campus to Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) only.
Arrivals and departures outside of scheduled dates and times may be able to be accommodated for an extra fee. If we cannot make accommodations, we will provide detailed transportation information.