Frequently Asked Questions

Can I enroll in Temple University’s IELP if I am already studying at another school or in another English program in the U.S.?

If you are transferring to the Temple Intensive English Language Program, you will need the international student advisor at your current school to fill out a transfer recommendation letter. We need to receive the completed form before we can issue an acceptance letter.

How long will it take to mail out a welcome packet and I-20?

It typically takes our office three days to send out a welcome packet and I-20 after we have received a complete application. This might be delayed if information is missing. We will contact you by email if we need additional information to process an I-20. (Be sure to check the email address you provided on the application.)

How long will it take to receive my welcome packet and I-20 once it is mailed?

You will receive your welcome packet and I-20 by UPS express courier. When the packet arrives differs based on your country. We will email the UPS tracking information to you so you can follow the package’s progress.  

I want to bring my family with me to the U.S. How do I do that?

If you are in the U.S. on an F-1 visa and are a current student, you may bring a spouse or children as dependents to the U.S. You must submit a passport for each dependent and you financial documents must show an additional $4,000 for a spouse and $2,500 for each child.

What types of financial documentation are acceptable?

The following types of financial documentation are acceptable:

  • Bank statements
  • Employment letters

  • Affidavit of support (must be accompanied by a bank statement)

  • Assistantship letters from Temple University

  • Government scholarship

  • Company sponsorship

Find out more about acceptable types of financial documents.

I received my welcome packet and I-20. What do I do now?

Visit our Next Steps page.

How do I defer my studies?

You may defer your studies by completing a deferral request form. If your financial documents are more than six months old, you will be asked to submit updated documents.


When should I defer my studies?

You should defer your studies if

  • you do not have enough time to get a visa,

  • you need to begin your studies at a later date, or

  • your visa was denied and you want to reapply for it.


How many times can I defer my studies?

You may defer your studies two times without incurring a fee. After your second request to defer, you will be charged a fee of $100 per request.

If you already have paid your SEVIS fee, you do not have to pay it again as long as you re-apply for the SEVIS within 12 months of your first denial.

If your initial application was submitted more than one year ago, you must reapply to IELP and re-apply for a new SEVIS.